Although the tide of bankruptcies receded after the new bankruptcy law went into effect on October 17, 2005, a swelling volume of new personal bankruptcy filings are starting to flow into the court systems. With consumer credit card debt now over $820 billion and 97 percent of consumers seeking pre-bankruptcy credit counseling unable to repay their debts, analysts should not be surprised to see bankruptcy numbers steadily climbing.
In the wake of these developments, debt settlement is becoming a popular bankruptcy alternative for consumers experiencing financial hardships. This trend will likely continue as the economy continues to suffer from sluggish growth, stagnant personal income, a persistent negative personal savings rate and rising gas and energy prices. In tough times, debt settlement often provides the fastest resolution to overwhelming debt outside of bankruptcy.
As debt settlements popularity grows, so do the number of companies offering professional debt settlement programs. These companies offer a valuable service to consumers, especially those who do not have the patience or emotional strength to negotiate directly with aggressive and sometimes intimidating creditors and debt collectors. However, with the right information, you can negotiate your own debt settlements and be debt-free in about two to three years.
Here are twelve benefits to demonstrate the value of the do-it-yourself debt settlement method.
1. Low investment. Do-it-yourself debt settlement guides are much less expensive than the service fees charged by professional debt settlement companies. For example, the popular Do-It-Yourself Debt Settlement Kit, published by the National Financial Awareness Network, costs only about $150 and is available for purchase online at www.nfan.com.
2. High return. If you were able to settle one $6000 account for 50 percent (which is a typical settlement amount), you would save $3000. That is a 200 percent return on your $150.
3. Save money. Hiring a professional debt settlement company will likely cost you thousands of dollars in service fees, compared to about $150 for a do-it-yourself debt settlement kit.
4. Know thyself. Who do you trust more than yourself with your money? Handing your personal, sensitive financial dealings over to a complete stranger can be unnerving, especially if it is unnecessary.
5. You are your best client. Professional debt settlement companies often service thousands of clients. It is nearly impossible for anyone else to provide the level of service and attention that you can provide to yourself.
6. Stay in the know. By managing your own debt settlement program, you will always know what is going on with your accounts. How can you keep yourself in the dark?
7. Record keeping. As a do-it-yourselfer, you only have your records to keep up with. Professional debt settlement companies often have thousands of clients and each client has multiple accounts to keep up with.